Summary of Request
The Agricultural Business Advisor will work as a consultant with the Senior Business Advisor and the Client Services Specialist to deliver one-on-one (1:1) business assistance. The desired outcome of this work is for farmers and food business owners to implement business management practices that contribute to their long-term economic viability.
The Carrot Project addresses the most important gaps at the intersections of financial security, racial and economic justice, financial barriers to farmland access, and farmers’ ability to weather major disruptions. Our work facilitates access to financing and business financial management support so that today’s small farm and food businesses can grow into thriving, enduring enterprises.
The Agricultural Business Advisor may help clients learn about and apply financial management best practices by:
- Providing one-on-one (1:1) business assistance to 2-8 clients per year (here are examples of other possible services). The business assistance may include:
- Helping clients implement and refine a bookkeeping system
- Creating cash flow budgets
- Analyzing historical financials to plan for increased profitability and growth.
- Preparing to apply for loans including support in completing loan application paperwork. Clear understanding of what lenders want is required.
- Collecting clients’ demographic and outcome data
- Preparing client Scopes of Work detailing deliverables and expected outcomes
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
- Experience providing 1:1 business technical assistance that leads to demonstrable results i.e. increased understanding and skill development
- Experience reviewing and providing constructive feedback on business and financial plans
- Experience helping businesses set up financial tracking systems and incorporating financial management and planning activities into their business
- Ability to understand, communicate and explain business financial information to others
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, program targets and to manage workload
- Skilled with MS Office applications, including Excel
- Familiar with QuickBooks
- Commitment to increasing the racial diversity of successful farms and agricultural businesses.
- Proven ability to clearly communicate in writing and orally
- Ability to influence others, moving them to action
- Proven to work independently and as part of a team
- Proven ability and enjoyment in attending to details, including follow up.
- Curious and interested in learning.
- Advanced business or related degree or relevant experience
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the local food and agriculture community
- Prior owner or manager of a farm or food business.
- Ability to work remotely, using personal office equipment (phone, computer, etc.)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel within Eastern Massachusetts and Connecticut and Rhode Island
Timeline and Budget
We provide business assistance year-round, with the bulk of the work in January – March. The number of clients assigned is dependent on matching the advisor’s skills with a client’s needs. The work ranges from 2 to 15 hours per client. Actual hours will depend on the number of clients receiving 1:1 business assistance and the type of assistance they seek. The consultant will be paid hourly and the rate of pay will depend upon experience and skill working with farms, and to a lesser degree, food businesses.
- RFR issued Wednesday, July 27, 2021
- Submission will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Interviews will be led by the Sr. Business Advisor
- Start Date ASAP
- The contract is between TSNE-The Carrot Project and the consultant.
- The day-to-day management will be with the Client Services Coordinator
- Training and content support and supervision will be provided by the Sr. Business Advisor
Please submit a cover letter, qualifications, representative example of work and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
TSNE MissionWorks is the fiscal sponsor of The Carrot Project and both TSNE MissionWorks and The Carrot Project envision a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all of our employment and business related decisions, including hiring practices and the selection of Consultants. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks and The Carrot Project actively seek people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com