Business Advisor Services
The Carrot Project hires independent contractors to work with our clients when the support is designed to lead to start-up, stablization, growth, and/or financing. Our typical clients are small and midsized farm and food-system businesses and often low income. We seek funding to help cover the costs of services and pay advisors directly for client work.
Our business advisors deliver one-on-one (1:1) business assistance. The desired outcome of this work is for farmers and food business owners to implement business management practices that contribute to their long-term economic viability.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Overall Roles and Responsibilities of Business Advisors
- Work with Carrot staff to develop a Scope of Work based in client needs.
- Collect required demographic and other information to document work – both for reporting purposes and to better understand the population(s) that we serve.
- Provide appropriate techncial assistance.
- Submit invoices and interim reports on services on a bi-weekly, monthly, or at least quarterly basis.
- Provide a final report to The Carrot Project with all relevant documentation and work product from client(s).
Types of Business Assistance Offered
Business Planning and Analysis (Forward Looking)
- Business plan review
- Enterprise planning, including the development of financial projections
- Scenario planning
Financial and Business Analysis (Current/Historical)
- Creating and analyzing financial statements
- Review of current financial statements
- Cash-flow budgeting
- Support with competitive analysis
Setting Up Bookkeeping Systems
- Setting up financial tracking systems (such as QuickBooks)
- Optimizing financial tracking systems to assist with business decision making
- Training in using financial tracking systems
Access to Capital
- Developing financial and other statements for loan packaging or accessing financing
- Pre- and post-loan technical assistance
The Carrot Project will connect you with clients based on our assessment of clients’ needs, your skill sets, geographic proximity, and our understanding of your capacity. We will provide you with our understanding of their request for support. If you wish to explore providing support, you will have a conversation of about one hour to assess fit, which will be compensated. If you wish to move forward, you will work with Jeff Cole to draft a scope of work.
We welcome and solicit your referrals to clients in our geographic service area (MA, CT, and RI)
- If you would like to work with them, but they cannot afford your services without financial assistance.
- If you do not have the time, expertise, or interest.
You can refer them directly to Jeff; or talk with Jeff to see if they are a fit for The Carrot Project’s support.
Interested in working with The Carrot Project?
Please see our Request for Qualifications to learn more about The Carrot Project and how you can become a business advisor. You can also contact Jeff Cole by email: jcole [at] thecarrotproject [dot] org, or by phone: 617 674 2371, Ext. 9